Wisconsin Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Wisconsin independent contractors

Dwelling Contractor License Requirements in Wisconsin

In the state of Wisconsin, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a dwelling contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Department of Safety and Professional Services. This website licenses many different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of Wisconsin.

General construction contractors operating in the state of Wisconsin are required to fill out an application and submit an application fee of $15 along with a $30 credential fee. Applications must be sent to the following address:

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services

P.O. Box 78780

Milwaukee, WI 53293-0780

More information can be obtained by calling 608-266-2112.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Wisconsin Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Wisconsin

In Wisconsin, licenses are available for Journeyman, Master and Electrical Contractor. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Electrical Board.

You can obtain an application by calling 608-261-8500 or by using the Online Licensure Application System.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Wisconsin

In order to do plumbing work using a journeyman or master plumber’s license in Wisconsin, you should visit the website for the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Plumbing forms are available online as well as information on rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Wisconsin

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Wisconsin can be obtained from the website for the Department of Safety and Professional Services. There are many professions in Wisconsin that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Wisconsin Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Wisconsin must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s One Stop Business Portal. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. This website can also be used for general tax information and forms related to taxes.

Sales, use and other tax requirements can be found using the website for the Department of Revenue.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Wisconsin

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Wisconsin. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Workforce Development. In addition, employers and businesses can use this website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Wisconsin who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the For Employers section of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Wisconsin

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the New Hire Reporting Center:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 800-277-8075 or by sending it to the following address:

Wisconsin New Hire Reporting Center

P.O. Box 14431

Madison, WI 53708

Licensed Contractors in Wisconsin

To verify credentials and licensure in the state of Wisconsin, you can use the search provided by the Department of Safety and Professional Services.