West Virginia Business Licensing Information for Contractors

West Virginia independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in West Virginia

In the state of West Virginia, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Division of Labor Contractor Licensing.

The application is available online and should be returned to the following address with a $90 fee:

West Virginia Contractor Licensing Board

State Capitol Complex

Charleston, WV 25305

Phone: 304-558-7890

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

West Virginia Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in West Virginia

In West Virginia, licenses are available for master electrician, journeyman and apprentice electricians. Information on these licenses is provided by the Office of the State’s Fire Marshal.

Fees for licenses and testing are listed below:

License Fees

  • Master License - $50.00 Annual Fee (Expires June 30 each year)
  • Journeyman License - $50.00 Annual Fee (Expires June 30 each year)
  • Apprentice License - $50.00 Annual Fee (Expires June 30 each year)
  • All Specialty Licenses - $50.00 Annual Fee (Expires June 30 each year)

Testing Fees

  • Master, Journeyman, All Specialty Licenses - $25.00 testing fee
  • Apprentice License - $10.00 testing fee
  • Retest - $10.00 all licenses (Applicable if within 12 months of last exam) 

Applications are available online and should be returned with the appropriate license fee to the following address:

Office of the West Virginia State Fire Marshal

1207 Quarrier St, 2nd Floor

Charleston, WV 25301

Phone: 304-558-2191

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in West Virginia

In order to do plumbing work in the state of West Virginia, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Division of Labor Plumber Certification, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Applications are provided online for the following classifications:

Master – Fee: $75

Journeyman - $75

Plumber in Training - $50

Checks, certified checks, cashier’s checks or money orders must be made payable to the West Virginia Division of Labor. Completed applications can be sent to the following address:

West Virginia Division of Labor

State Capitol Complex, Building 6, Room B-749

Charleston, WV 25305

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in West Virginia

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of West Virginia can be obtained from the website for the Secretary of State. There are many professions in West Virginia that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

West Virginia Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of West Virginia must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Tax Department. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

The Tax Department’s “Sales & Use Taxes” section can also be used for general information and forms related to taxes.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in West Virginia

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in West Virginia. This process is managed and regulated by the Workforce West Virginia website. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of West Virginia who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Insurance Commissioner’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in West Virginia

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the New Hire Reporting Center:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 877-625-4675 or by sending it to the following address:

West Virginia New Hire Reporting Center

P.O. Box 640098

Atlanta, GA 30364

Licensed Contractors in West Virginia

In order to verify licensure for contractors in the state of West Virginia, you can use the search provided by the Division of Labor.