Washington Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Washington independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Washington

In the state of Washington, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Department of Labor & Industries. This website licenses many different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of Washington.

Through the DLI, you can view the list of requirements for obtaining a contractor’s license in the state of Washington. When ready, download and print the application and submit it with the registration fee of $113.40. For the quickest response, fill out the application online, but you can also mail it to the following address:

Department of Labor & Industries

Contractor Registration

P.O. Box 44450

Olympia, WA 98504-4450

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Washington Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Washington

In Washington, licenses are available for Trainee, Electrician, Electrical Administrator, Telecommunications Administrator, Electrical Contractor, Telecommunications Contractor, and Master Electrician’s Certificate. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Department of Labor & Industries and can be found linked below:

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Washington

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Washington, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Department of Labor & Industries, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Washington

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Washington can be obtained from the website for the Washington State Department of Licensing. There are many professions in Washington that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Washington Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Washington must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

The Taxes and Rates section of the Department of Revenue’s website can also be used for general tax information and forms related to taxes.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Washington

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Washington. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Employment Security Department. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Washington who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Workers’ Compensation section of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Washington

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the website for My Secure DSHS:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Licensed Contractors in Washington

To verify licensure in the state of Washington, you can utilize the search provided by the Department of Labor & Industries.