Vermont Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Vermont independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Vermont

In the state of Vermont, the state does not issue licenses on the state level for contractors. State licenses are offered for asbestos abatement, lead abatement, electrical and plumbing work performed in Vermont. Licenses may be required on a local level, so be sure to check with your city or county for more information on the various requirements to obtain licensure.

Vermont Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Vermont

Information on electrical licenses is provided by the state’s Electrical Licensing Board. Using the application and forms section of the state’s website, you can obtain applications and forms related to new applications, renewals, examinations and more. This wealth of information is relative to both electrical contractors and electricians in the state of Vermont.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Vermont

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Vermont, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Division of Fire Safety, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Licensing questions can be directed to 802-479-7564.

Master license fee is $120 and journeyman license fee is $90.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Vermont

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Vermont can be obtained from the website for the Vermont Business Portal. There are many professions in Vermont that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Vermont Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Vermont must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Taxes. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. This website can also be used for general tax information and forms related to taxes.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Vermont

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Vermont. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Labor. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Vermont who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Department of Labor’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation department by calling 802-828-4000.


New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Vermont

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the New Hire Reporting:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting or call 802-828-4344 for more information.

Licensed Contractors in Vermont

In order to verify licensure in the state of Vermont, you can use the search provided by the Vermont Office of Professional Regulation.