Pennsylvania Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Pennsylvania independent contractors

Home Improvement Contractor’s License Requirements in Pennsylvania

In the state of Pennsylvania, individuals interested in obtaining a Home Improvement Contractor’s license must register with the state’s Attorney General’s office. Instructions on the application process are provided.

Due to high volumes, the Attorney General also provides interested parties with a website for easier registrations and renewals. Applications for Home Improvement Contractors should be sent with the $50 application fee made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania – mailed to the following address:

Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Bureau of Consumer Protection

15th Floor, Strawberry Square

Harrisburg, PA 17120

ATTN: Home Improvement Contractor Registration

In addition to being registered on a state level, there are licenses that are specific to cities within Pennsylvania. They are listed below along with links for their applications:

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Pennsylvania Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, licenses for electricians are not provided on the state level. As such, you would be best served to check with the local government for license requirements and regulations.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, licenses for plumbers are not provided on the state level. As such, you would be best served to check with the local government for license requirements and regulations.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Pennsylvania

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Pennsylvania can be obtained from the website for the Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs. There are many professions in Pennsylvania that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Pennsylvania Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Pennsylvania must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. Registering on this website also registers the business with the Department of Labor and Industry.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Pennsylvania

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Pennsylvania. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Labor & Industry. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Pennsylvania who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Workers’ Compensation website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation bureau using the address below:

Bureau of Workers’ Compensation

1171 S. Cameron Street, Room 324

Harrisburg, PA 17104-2501

Phone: 717-783-5421

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Pennsylvania

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the state’s New Hire Reporting Program:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 866-748-4473 or by sending it to the following address:

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

New Hire Reporting Program

P.O. Box 69400

Harrisburg, PA 17106-9400

Licensed Contractors in Pennsylvania

To verify licensure in the state of Pennsylvania, users can utilize the search provided by the Department of Law & Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs. Users may search by name, license type and profession.