Oregon Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Oregon independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Oregon

In the state of Oregon, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Oregon Construction Contractors Board. Under the law in Oregon, if you wish to perform construction work for money, a license is required.

The state’s website provides a step-by-step checklist for users to determine whether or not a license is required. Residential applications are available and should be returned with a $325 fee made payable to CCB. Commercial applications are provided, but the same fee and requirements apply.

Application packets should include the signed application, fee, Certificate of Liability Insurance and the original Surety Bond and should be mailed to the following address:

Construction Contractors Board

P.O. Box 14140

Salem, OR 97309-5052

Note: The Board does not accept faxed applications.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Oregon Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Oregon

In Oregon, licenses are available for master electrician, residential wireman and journeyman. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Business Xpress License Directory.

The application can be found here and the fee is $375 and is non-refundable. You can search online for licenses or renew online, but applications are required to be sent through the mail to the following address:

BCD – Contractor License

P.O. Box 14470

DCBS – Building Codes Division

Salem, OR 97309

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Oregon

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Oregon, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Building Codes Division, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

The Journeyman application is here and requires an application fee of $100. Completed applications must be sent to the following address:

DCBS Fiscal Services

P.O. Box 14610

Salem, OR 97309-0445


Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Oregon

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Oregon can be obtained from the website for the Secretary of State. There are many professions in Oregon that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Oregon Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Oregon must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. This website can also be used for general tax information and forms related to taxes.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Oregon

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Oregon. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Employment Department. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Oregon who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Workers’ Compensation Division section of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Workers’ Compensation Division

350 Winter St NE

P.O. Box 14480

Salem, OR 97309-0405


New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Oregon

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the Oregon Child Support Program:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website to obtain the reporting form and fax the information to 503-378-2863 or by sending it to the following address:

Department of Justice, Division of Child Support

Employer New Hire Reporting

4600 25th Ave NE, Suite 180

Salem, OR 97301

Licensed Contractors in Oregon

The Construction Contractors Board provides a search tool for users to verify licensure in the state of Oregon.