North Dakota Business Licensing Information for Contractors

North Dakota independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in North Dakota

In the state of North Dakota, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Secretary of State. This website licenses many different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of North Dakota. Contractor's licenses are required for jobs that are over $4,000.

License fees are based on class as listed below:

Class A – Over $500,000 per job - $450

Class B – Up to $500,000 per job - $300

Class C – Up to $300,000 per job - $225

Class D – Up to $100,000 per job - $100

General construction contractors operating in the state of North Dakota are required to fill out an application and submit it to the following address:

Secretary of State

State of North Dakota

600 E. Boulevard Avenue Dept 108

Bismarck, ND 58505-0500

Phone: 701-328-3665


Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

North Dakota Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in North Dakota

In North Dakota, licenses are available for master electrician, residential wireman and journeyman. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Electrical Board. Using the resources provided, you can obtain applications and forms related to new applications, renewals, examinations and more. This wealth of information is relative to both electrical contractors and electricians in the state of North Dakota.

Applications are provided through the linked PDF and the fees are listed below:

Re-exam: $50 Master, $25 Journeyman or $40 for Class B.

Master Exam: $50 application fee

Journeyman Exam: $25 application fee

Class B Exam: $40 application fee

Note: Additional fees for licenses will be required.

Checks or money orders should be made payable to NDSEB and application packets must be sent to the following address:


P.O. Box 7335

Bismarck, ND 58507


Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in North Dakota

In order to do plumbing work in the state of North Dakota, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the State Plumbing Board, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

The website is currently under construction and in order to receive more information on plumbing licensure in North Dakota, contact the Board at 701-328-9977 or use the following address for correspondence:

North Dakota State Plumbing Board

1110 College Drive Suite 210

Bismarck, ND 58501


Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in North Dakota

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of North Dakota can be obtained from the website for the state’s New Business Registration page. There are many professions in North Dakota that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Professional licenses are available using the Board search on the website for the Office of the Governor.

North Dakota Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of North Dakota must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s New Business Registration page. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

Sales use and other taxes can be managed through the North Dakota Tax Department’s website.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in North Dakota

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in North Dakota. This process is managed and regulated by the Job Service ND website. In addition, employers and businesses can use the DEPT section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages.

Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workforce Safety & Insurance

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of North Dakota who employ more than one worker must get and maintain North Dakota’s Workforce Safety & Insurance. Using the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the WSI by calling 800-777-5033.


New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in North Dakota

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the State Directory of New Hires:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Licensed Contractors in North Dakota

Users can utilize the Secretary of State’s website to verify licensure for contractors, electricians and plumbers operating in the state of North Dakota.