New Hampshire Business Licensing Information for Contractors

New Hampshire independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in New Hampshire

In the state of New Hampshire, licenses are provided to specialty contractors that include electrical contractors, plumbing contractors and asbestos and lead abatement contractors.

New Hampshire Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in New Hampshire

In New Hampshire, licenses are available for Master and Journeyman Electricians. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Electricians’ Board.

Below are some of the licenses provided by the state and links to their respective applications:

See the linked fee schedule for information on how much should be remitted along with the application packet.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in New Hampshire

In order to do plumbing work in the state of New Hampshire, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Bureau of Building Safety & Construction, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.


Gas fitter: $190

Master Plumber: $310

Journeyman: $190

Domestic Appliance: $170

Apprentice/Trainee: $90

Application packets can be sent to the following address along with the corresponding fee:

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

State of New Hampshire

Department of Safety, Division of Fire Safety

Office of the State Fire Marshal

33 Hazen Dr.

Concord, NH 03305

Phone: 603-223-4289

Fax: 603-223-4295

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in New Hampshire

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of New Hampshire can be obtained from the website for the state’s Doing Business website. There are many professions in New Hampshire that require licensure by businesses operating in the state. Under Licenses & Permits, there are links to the various permits and licenses required for doing business in the state of New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of New Hampshire must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Doing Business page. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in New Hampshire

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in New Hampshire. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Employment Security Online. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of New Hampshire who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the website for the Department of Labor, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Department of Labor

95 Pleasant Street

Concord, NH 03301

Phone: 603-271-3176


New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in New Hampshire

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the New Hire Program:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 603-224-0825 or 855-253-9072 - or by sending it to the following address:

NHES – New Hire Program

P.O. Box 2092

Concord, NH 03302-2092

Licensed Contractors in New Hampshire

To verify licensure in the state of New Hampshire, users can search the database provided by the New Hampshire Online Licensing.