Nebraska Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Nebraska independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Nebraska

In the state of Nebraska, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Department of Labor. This website licenses many different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of Nebraska.

General construction contractors operating in the state of Nebraska are required to fill out an application and submit a registration fee of $40 via check, payable to the Department of Labor sent to the address below with the other listed requirements:

Nebraska Department of Labor

Labor Law/Contractor Registration

550 So. 16th Street

Lincoln, NE 68508

Phone: 402-471-2239

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Nebraska Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Nebraska

In Nebraska, licenses are available for master electrician, residential wireman and journeyman. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Electrical Division. Using the application and forms section of the state’s website, you can obtain applications and forms related to new applications, renewals, examinations and more. This wealth of information is relative to both electrical contractors and electricians in the state of Nebraska.

Through the Nebraska State Electrical Division (NSED), applications for exams are provided per the fee schedule below:

Apprentice: Even numbered year - $20.00 – Odd numbered year: $40.00

Electrical Contractor: Application for exam fee is $125

Journeyman Electrician: Application for exam fee is $60.00

Fire Alarm Installer: Application for exam fee is $60.00

Residential Journeyman Electrician: Application for exam fee is $60.00

For more information, you can contact the Board at the following address:

The Nebraska State Electrical Division

521 South 14th Street, Suite 400 P.O. Box 95066

Lincoln, NE 68508-2707

Phone: 402-471-1058

Fax: 402-471-4297

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Nebraska

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Nebraska, the state does not require you to have a license unless the work is performed in a county with a population of over 100,000 residents.

More information can be obtained from the Department of Labor by calling 402-595-3189.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Nebraska

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Nebraska can be obtained from the website for the Nebraska One Stop Business Registration Information System. There are many professions in Nebraska that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

By filling out the provided questionnaire, you can receive informational guidance on the agencies that require registration and the forms required.

Nebraska Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Nebraska must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

To receive an application for registration through the mail, call 800-742-7474 or 402-471-5729.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Nebraska

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Nebraska. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Labor. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Nebraska who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Workers Compensation Court section of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Nebraska’s Workers’ Compensation Court

P.O. Box 98908

Lincoln, NE 68509-8908

Phone: 800-599-5155 or 402-471-6468

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Nebraska

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the State Directory of New Hires:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to FAX or by sending it to the following address:

Nebraska State Directory of New Hires

P.O. Box 144013

Austin, TX 78714-4013

Phone: 888-256-0293

Fax: 866-808-2007

Licensed Contractors in Nebraska

To verify licensure in the state of Nebraska, you can use the search tool or look at the list of the contractors provided.