Montana Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Montana independent contractors

In the state of Montana, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Montana Department of Labor & Industry. This website licenses many different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of Montana.

General construction contractors operating in the state of Montana are required to register using the linked application and send a fee of $53 to the address below:

Construction Contractor

Registration Unit

P.O. Box 8011

Helena, MT 59604-8011

Montana Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Montana

In Montana, licenses are available for Residential, Journeyman and Master Electrical workers.

To apply for an electrical license, contact the Board at the following address:

Montana State Electrical Board

P.O. Box 200513

301 South Park Ave, 4th Floor

Helena, MT 59620

Phone: 406-841-2339

Fax: 406-841-2309

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Montana

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Montana, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Department of Labor & Industry, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

The state currently licenses Journeyman and Master Plumbers.

Master Plumber Fee: $100 for the application and $280 for the license

Journeyman Plumber Fee: $100 for the application and $170 for the license

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Montana

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Montana can be obtained from the website for the Department of Labor & Industry. There are many professions in Montana that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Montana Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Montana must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Business Tax Express. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

General Tax Information and Forms

Other related tax information and forms can be obtained from the website for the Montana Department of Revenue.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Montana

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Montana. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Labor & Industry. In addition, employers and businesses can use the same section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages.

Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Montana who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Department of Labor & Industry’s portion of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Workers’ Compensation Court

1625 11th Avenue

P.O. Box 537

Helena, MT 59624-0537

Phone: 406-444-7794

Fax: 406-444-7798

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Montana

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the state’s Directory of New Hires:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to FAX or by sending it to the following address:

Montana New Hire Reporting Program

P.O. Box 8013

Helena, MT 59604-8013  

Licensed Contractors in Montana

To search and verify a licensed contractor in the state of Montana, refer to the state’s Building Permits Citizen Portal.