Mississippi Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Mississippi independent contractors

Commercial Construction Contractor’s Certificate

In the state of Mississippi, general commercial and residential contractors are required to have a license. Information can be obtained using the documentation provided by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.

Completed application packets can be mailed to the state Board using the following address:

State Board of Contractors

P.O. Box 320279

Jackson, MS 39232-0279

The non-refundable application fee is $200 in addition to $50 for each additional classification.

Residential Building and Remodeler’s Licenses

Residential building and remodeler’s licenses can be obtained by using the linked application file. Fill out the form completely and legibly and include a fee of $50 to be returned to the Board of Contractors.

Board of Contractors Forms

Any other permits and licenses required by the Board of Contractors can be found on the state agency’s website.

Mississippi Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Mississippi

In Mississippi, licenses are available for electrician licenses through local agencies. Residential electrical work is not licensed on a state level, but this information is not reflected on the Board of Contractors’ website.

In order to obtain clarification, it is advised that you contact the Board using the following information:

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Mississippi State Board of Contractors

2679 Crane Ridge Drive, Suite

Jackson, MS 39216

Phone: 601-354-6161 or 800-880-6161

The previous licensing fee was set at $200 and an additional $50 for each additional classification, but that is subject to change.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Mississippi

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Mississippi, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Mississippi State Board of Contractors, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Mississippi

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Mississippi can be obtained from the website for the City Applications. There are many professions in Mississippi that require licensure by businesses operating in the state, but others that don’t. If you decided to do a LLC or any other incorporated entity, you will be required to register with the Secretary of State.

Mississippi Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Mississippi must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. On the page for Sales Tax and Use Forms, you can access the many tax related forms available for your business’ operation.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Mississippi

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Mississippi. This process is managed and regulated by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security (MDES). In addition, employers and businesses can use this website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Registration can be completed for use with the online system for employers and employees.

Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes. If you have registered to use the MDES system, you can register your business for Unemployment insurance through this linked website.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Mississippi who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the WCC portion of the state’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Commission using the address below:

Workers’ Compensation Commission

1428 Lakeland DrJackson, MS 39216

Phone: 601-987-4200

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Mississippi

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the State Directory of New Hires:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 800-937-8668 by sending it to the following address:

Mississippi State Directory of New Hires

P.O. Box 312

Holbrook, MA 02343

Phone: 800-241-1330

Licensed Contractors in Mississippi

To locate and verify the licensure of a contracted worker in the state of Mississippi, users can search with the form provided by the MS State Board of Contractors.