Minnesota Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Minnesota independent contractors

Residential Building Contractor’s License Requirements in Minnesota

In the state of Minnesota, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Department of Labor and Industry. In this state, licenses are offered to residential building contractors and remodelers. This website provides a wealth of information on the application and other forms needed to obtain licensure – along with the general fee schedule.

Minnesota Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Minnesota

In Minnesota, to perform electrical work, you must have an electrician or electrical contractor’s license. Information is provided on the DLI’s website for obtaining licensure and the associated fees per the schedule.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Minnesota

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Minnesota, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Department of Labor & Industry, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code. Fees are provided as part of the general fee schedule.

State licenses are required for plumbers working in cities with a higher population than 5,000 citizens.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Minnesota

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Minnesota can be obtained from the website for Minnesota e-Licensing. Licenses offered can be browsed by topic, agency or alphabetically.

Minnesota Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Minnesota must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. Further information can be obtained by calling 651-282-5225.

General Tax Information and Forms

The website for the Department of Revenue can also be used for general tax information and forms related to taxes. Forms and instructions applicable to businesses are also provided.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Minnesota

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Minnesota. This process is managed and regulated by the Unemployment Insurance Minnesota website. In addition, employers and businesses can use this website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes. An employer handbook is available for entities requiring information on registration and definitions of terms.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Minnesota who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the state’s Department of Labor & Industry website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Division of Workers’ Compensation

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Minnesota

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the state’s New Hire Reporting Center:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 800-692-4473 or by sending it to the following address:

Minnesota New Hire Reporting Center P.O. Box 64212 St. Paul, MN 55164-0212 

Licensed Contractors in Minnesota

The Department of Labor & Industry provides a search feature to locate and verify licensure for Michigan contractors, plumbers and electrical workers.