Michigan Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Michigan independent contractors

Residential Builders and Maintenance and Alteration Contractor License Information

In Michigan, if you wish to perform work that is over $600 in value, then you must obtain a license as a residential builder or a residential alteration contractor.

State licenses are not provided to general or construction contractors and persons interested in obtaining licensure in these fields must seek further information from the local governing agency.

Prior to filling out the application, interested persons must have 60 hours of approved pre-licensure education in each area:

  1. Business management, estimating and job costing
  2. Design and building science
  3. Contracts, liability and risk management
  4. Marketing and sales
  5. Project management and scheduling
  6. The current Michigan residential code and construction safety standards under Michigan OSHA


Individual residential builder: $195

Individual residential builder re-licensure: $185

Individual Maintenance and Alteration contractor: $195

Individual Maintenance and Alteration contractor re-licensure: $185

If license is revoked, reinstatement fees are $15

Application and fee can be sent to the following address:

Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs

Bureau of Professional Licensing

P.O. Box 30245

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 517-373-8068

More information is available through a brochure provided by the Bureau of Professional Licensing.


Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Michigan Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Michigan

In Michigan, licenses are available for Journeyman, Master Electrician, Fire Alarm Specialty Technician or Sign Specialist. Links to each application are as follows:

For persons interested in licensure who live in the cities of Grand Rapids and Detroit, electrical and related licenses are offered locally.

More information is provided on LARA’s website regarding Electrical related qualifications.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Michigan

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Michigan, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Plumbing Division, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Applications must be sent to the following address:

Michigan Department of Labor & Economic GrowthBureau of Construction Codes / Plumbing DivisionP.O. Box 30255, Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 517-241-9330

Information is provided on LARA with regard to the fees associated with license application and examination for Apprentice registration, Journeyman and Master Plumber examinations.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Michigan

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Michigan can be obtained from the website for the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. There are many professions in Michigan that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Michigan Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Michigan must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Unemployment Insurance Agency. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked. Instructions and forms for all types of businesses are provided for ease of use.

General Tax Information and Forms

Using the Michigan Department of Treasury’s website, business owners can register their business, e-File and search and use the various forms provided.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Michigan

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Michigan. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Unemployment Insurance Taxes website. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Michigan who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the LARA Workers’ Compensation Agency’s website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Division using the address below:

Workers’ Compensation Agency

P.O. Box 30016

Lansing, MI 48909

Further information can be obtained by calling 888-396-5041 or by emailing wcinfo@michigan.gov.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Michigan

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the Michigan New Hire Operations Center form:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 877-318-1659 or by sending it to the following address:

Michigan New Hire Operations Center

P.O. Box 85010

Lansing, MI 48908-5010


Licensed Contractors in Michigan

Using the LARA website, users can verify licensure by filling out the required information.