Hawaii Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Hawaii independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Hawaii

In the state of Hawaii, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Professional & Vocational Licensing under the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. This website licenses 49 different professions, businesses and occupations in the state of Hawaii.

General construction contractors operating in the state of Hawaii are required to fill out an application and submit an application fee of $50 via check, payable to: Commerce and Consumer Affairs. In Hawaii, a license is not required in the event that the complete cost of the project is under $1,000.00 and does not require a building permit. For more information, consult the Contractor Frequently Asked Questions.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Hawaii Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Hawaii

In Hawaii, state licenses are required for electrical contractors and electricians. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Professional & Vocational Licensing department.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Hawaii

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Hawaii, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code.

Plumbers can request an application using this link along with allowing residents to verify that a plumber currently holds a valid license.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Hawaii

Business and Occupational Licenses

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Hawaii can be obtained from the website for Business Development and Support Division. Using this website, you can learn how to start and grow a business in the state of Hawaii along with all of the licenses and permits required.

Hawaii Business Tax Information

Hawaii Business Express

Any business operating in the state of Hawaii must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Online Business Registration.

The Hawaii Business Express is geared toward helping new and veteran users access the wizard or quickfile options in order to fill out forms and submit them.

General Tax Information and Forms

The Hawaii state Department of Taxation provides easy access for business owners to register a new business or fill out the necessary tax forms for operating in this state.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Hawaii

Disability Insurance for Hawaii

Disability insurance provides benefits to workers who are temporarily disabled because of a non-work related incident. Through automatic deductions from employees’ earnings, the employer is able to provide this level of insurance to employees and report the taxes to the state of Hawaii.

Through the website for the Disability Compensation Division, information is available on temporary disability insurance.

Unemployment Insurance in Hawaii

Through the state of Hawaii’s Unemployment Insurance page, business owners can access information on tax schedules, registration and filing taxes online.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

In the state of Hawaii, business owners are required to carry Workers’ Comp insurance to cover employees who are hurt while they are working.


New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Hawaii

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, fax the information to 808-692-7001 or by sending it to the following address:

Child Support Enforcement Agency

New Hire Reporting

Kakuhihewa Building

601 Kamokila Blvd., Suite 251

Kapolei, HI 96707

More information can be obtained with regard to format and other frequently asked questions using the linked PDF.

Licensed Contractors in Hawaii

Using the website provided by the Regulated Industries Complaints Office, anyone can search out a business or contractor to verify that they are in possession of a license.