Delaware Business Licensing Information for Contractors

delaware independent contractors

General Contractor Licenses and Regulations in Delaware

All contractors conducting business activities in the state of Delaware are required to register and obtain a business license from the state’s Division of Revenue.

In order to become a contractor in this state, you can fill out a Resident Contractors Package or a Non-Resident Contractors Package.

After completing the necessary forms and including the $75.00 fee, sign and send the document to the following address:

Division of Revenue

P.O. Box 8750

Wilmington, DE 19899-8750

Note: All information on the application must be filled out without any blanks. Write in “N/A” if the question does not apply.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started

Business Licensing Information for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Delaware

For those persons seeking state licenses for master electricians, limited master electricians and specialty electricians, the Board of Electrical Examiners offers information and application procedures.

Applications for electrical licensure can be obtained on the Forms web page of the state of Delaware’s official website. When completing the appropriate application, you must include a check or money order for the processing fees as listed below:

  • Master Electrician - $157
  • Master Special Electrician - $157
  • Limited Electrician - $84
  • Limited Special Electrician - $84
  • Journeyperson Electrician - $72
  • Apprentice Electrician - $59
  • Homeowner Permits - $42
  • Inspection Agency - $40
  • Conditional Inspection Agency - $40

Renewal fee information is provided during the period of license renewal.

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Delaware

Plumbing and HVACR Licenses and Regulations

In the state of Delaware, a license is required to perform plumbing work of any kind. In addition, the Board issues licenses for master plumber, master HVACR and master restricted HVACR licenses. Restricted licenses limit practice to specialties like air conditioning.

The fee schedule for plumbers is as follows:

  • Plumber – $109
  • Master HVACR – $109
  • Master Restricted HVACR – $109
  • HVACR Temporary – $40

Renewal fees are available during the time of renewal. Applications for plumber or HVACR licensure can be found online along with the Master HVACR restricted specialty request. Complete the required information and return it with the applicable fee (as listed above) to:

Board of Plumbing, Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Examiners

Cannon Building

861 Silver Lake Blvd., Suite 203

Dover, DE 19904-2467

Additional Business Licensing Information for all Delaware Businesses

Delaware One Stop Business Registration and Licensing

The One Stop website through the state of Delaware allows business owners to register the business with the Division of Revenue, the Division of Unemployment Insurance and the Office of Workers’ Compensation.

Fees for licenses are provided online using this matrix. Registering your business with the IRS will allow you to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number. Along with licensing information, business owners can use the One Stop website for business tax purposes.

General Tax Information and Forms

Using the Division of Revenue’s website, business owners can utilize the information provided in order to register for identification numbers for tax purposes and unemployment insurance tax.

Utilizing this website will also provide you with the necessary information regarding your financial responsibility with regard to taxes.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Delaware

Unemployment Tax Requirements for Delaware

For companies operating in this state with more than one worker, unemployment tax insurance is required. Under the Department of Labor’s website, information is offered with regard to unemployment insurance tax reporting and liability.

If you are required to pay taxes of this sort, you must register with the Department of Labor.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements for Delaware

Through the state’s Division of Industrial Affairs, information is provided to both employers and employees in the state. In Delaware, companies that employ one or more workers are required to carry Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Insurance must be purchased through a commercial carrier or on a self-insured basis.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Delaware

Reporting Newly Hired Employees

State and federal law requires employers to report new hires and re-hires within a 20 day time frame from the hire date. Employers in Delaware may do so electronically using the State Directory of New Hire Reporting website. Also included on the website is information on who should report, what information should be reported and information for employers of workers in multiple states.

Licensed Contractors in Delaware

The state of Delaware has a licensed contractor search function to locate contractors operating within the state. Those seeking information for written verification can do so using the instructions provided.