Connecticut Business Licensing Information for Contractors

Connecticut independent contractors

Contractor’s License Requirements in Connecticut

In the state of Connecticut, those individuals or businesses that wish to obtain a contractor’s license can do so using the website for the Department of Consumer Protection.

The following license applications are available to contractors on a state level along with their corresponding fees:

Home Improvement Contractor | Fees: $220.00

New Home Construction Contractor | Fees: $720.00

Major Contractor | Fees: $500.00

All checks or money orders should be made payable to: “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”

Completed applications should be mailed to the following address:

Department of Consumer Protection

License Services Division

165 Capitol Avenue

Hartford, CT 06106

Connecticut Business Licensing for Electricians

Electrical Contractor and Electrician Licenses in Connecticut

In Connecticut, licenses are available for master electrician, residential wireman and journeyman. Information on these licenses is provided by the state’s Electrical Work Examining Board.

The state offers licenses for Electrical Contractor (Fee: $150) and Electrical Journeyperson (Fee: $90.00). Completed applications and fees must be sent to PSI at the following address:

PSI Licensure: Certification

3210 East Tropicana Ave.

Las Vegas, NV 89121

Connecticut Business Licensing for Plumbers

Business Licensing Information for Plumbers in Connecticut

In order to do plumbing work in the state of Connecticut, the state requires you to have a license. On the website for the Department of Consumer Protection, plumbers can access information on applying to become a plumber, rules and regulations, and the plumbing code. Applications, rules and regulations are governed by the Plumbing and Piping Work Examining Board.

The state issues licenses for Plumbing and Pipefitting Contractor and Journeyperson. The applications and fees are handled directly by PSI Exams.

Additional Business Licensing for All Businesses in Connecticut

Connecticut Business Response Center

Information for business and occupational licenses in the state of Connecticut can be obtained from the website for the Business Response Center. There are many professions in Connecticut that require licensure by businesses operating in the state.

Connecticut Business Tax Information

Business Tax Registration

Any business operating in the state of Connecticut must register for a tax identification number, licenses or applicable permits, sales tax accounts and unemployment insurance tax using the website for the state’s Department of Revenue Services. To determine your tax liability or to make online payments, consult the website linked.

General Tax Information and Forms

Through the website for the Department of Revenue Services, employers can obtain information on the types of taxes that are required in the state of Connecticut.

Registration is a one-time fee of $100.

Insurance Requirements for Businesses in Connecticut

Unemployment Tax Requirements

Unemployment insurance is required to be paid by every business operating in Connecticut. This process is managed and regulated by the state’s Department of Labor. In addition, employers and businesses can use this section of the website to register the business, pay premiums and report wages. Under certain conditions, your business may need to remit payment for unemployment insurance taxes.

Workers’ Compensation Requirements

With very few exceptions, employers in the state of Connecticut who employ more than one worker must get and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Using the Workers’ Compensation Commission website, you can obtain coverage, report your intent to self-insure and verify that a company has the necessary insurance to meet the state’s requirements.

Under the law, the premiums paid for this type of insurance coverage is always paid for by the employer and should never be deducted from the employee’s earnings.

For more information, contact can be made with the Workers’ Compensation Commission using the address below:

Workers’ Compensation Commission

21 Oak Street

Hartford, CT 06106-8011

The Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission also provides a downloadable packet that contains everything regarding your responsibility for obtaining this form of insurance and forms that should be filled out and sent.

New Hire Reporting Requirements for Businesses in Connecticut

Reporting New Hires

Under federal law, employers are required to report newly hired employees within 20 days of their hire date. The following information can be reported using the New Hire Reporting system provided by the Department of Labor:

  • Employee’s name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Hire date
  • Employer’s name
  • Payroll address
  • Federal identification number (FEIN)

Employers may use the website for reporting, call 860-263-6310 or by sending it to the following address:

State of Connecticut

Department of Labor

Office of Research

200 Folly Brook Boulevard

Wethersfield, CT 06109

Licensed Contractors in Connecticut

In order to verify licensure in the state of Connecticut, you can utilize the search provided by the state. The database is updated instantly and is the state’s primary source of verification.

Are you a local contractor looking to grow your business? List your company with us and gain exposure for your service or product.

Get Started